pg_dump doesn't save correct the sequences
Andrei Bintintan
2004-10-28 05:50:06 UTC
Hi to all,

I try to dump a database from a 7.4.2 postgre system and to import it on a 7.3.2. system, but I have a problem with the sequences in the dump.

This is a seq example:

CREATE SEQUENCE test_id_seq
INCREMENT BY 1
NO MAXVALUE
NO MINVALUE
CACHE 1;

This gives me an error when restoring on the 7.3 machine.

If I modify this sequence this way I can put the dump to the 7.3.2 machine:

CREATE SEQUENCE test_id_seq
START 1
INCREMENT 1
MAXVALUE 9223372036854775807
MINVALUE 1
CACHE 1;

I don't know what happened, because last week I also put a dump from 7.4 to 7.3 without any problems.
A coelege from me made an application and some modifications in the 7.4 database system, now I see that in every database there are these tables that weren't before: sql_features, sql_implementation_info, sql_languages, sql_packages, sql_sizing, sql_sizing_profiles.

Please advice.

Thanx.
Andy.
Stephan Szabo
2004-10-28 06:22:06 UTC
Post by Andrei Bintintan
I try to dump a database from a 7.4.2 postgre system and to import it on
a 7.3.2. system, but I have a problem with the sequences in the dump.
In general, the above is not guaranteed to work. pg_dump will use features
of the dumping version so moving the dump to an earlier version is filled
with danger.
Post by Andrei Bintintan
CREATE SEQUENCE test_id_seq
INCREMENT BY 1
NO MAXVALUE
NO MINVALUE
CACHE 1;
This gives me an error when restoring on the 7.3 machine.
Looking at the documentation, it looks like NO MAXVALUE and NO MINVALUE
were added in 7.4.
Post by Andrei Bintintan
I don't know what happened, because last week I also put a dump from 7.4
to 7.3 without any problems.
A coelege from me made an application and some modifications in the 7.4
database system, now I see that in every database there are these tables
that weren't before: sql_features, sql_implementation_info,
sql_languages, sql_packages, sql_sizing, sql_sizing_profiles.
I believe these are part of the SQL standard information_schema.

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend
Andrei Bintintan
2004-10-28 16:51:32 UTC
Okay, If I modify all the Sequences in the dump, everything works fine.
Is there any possibility to specify to the pg_dump to save the sequences
with the "old" type??? I mean not with No MAXVALUE and No Minvalue???

My problem is that the 7.3 database I cannot "update" it for the moment for
diverse reasons, and I would like not to modify any dump anymore.

A strange thing is that this type of dump already worked once....

subscribe-nomail command to ***@postgresql.org so that your