Fixing "old version was found" error
Gordon Fox via DBMonster.com
2005-03-14 19:43:29 UTC
I just upgraded a machine to Fedora Core 3 and now on startup pgsql gives
me the message "An old version of the database format was found" and
refuses to start.

I'm not entirely sure how to fix this (everything I've read says I
should've taken some steps before the upgrade) but since the only database
on this machine was a sample one, don't care if it's lost. Are there files
I can simply delete to make pgsql happy -- so we can actually start using
it?

Thanks.

Gordon
Tony O'Bryan
2005-04-21 12:38:15 UTC
Post by Gordon Fox via DBMonster.com
I'm not entirely sure how to fix this (everything I've read says I
should've taken some steps before the upgrade) but since the only database
on this machine was a sample one, don't care if it's lost. Are there files
I can simply delete to make pgsql happy -- so we can actually start using
it?
I just subscribed to this newsgroup, which is why this reply is so late.

When you upgrade between major version releases (which are incompatible with
each other by the very definition of a major version change), you must
pg_dump your old database before you install the new database. After you
install the new database, you can use pgsql to read the file produced by
pg_dump to repopulate you data.
blip2
2006-04-23 12:28:10 UTC
what if you've had an old version of pgsql + dbase installed but wa
'removed' on OS upgrade but the db files are still there somewhere an
you cant start the new version of pgsql to do a dump?

blip

--
blip
blip2's Profile: http://www.dbtalk.net/m21